Monday, August 18, 2014

Introduction

 My name is Arnulfo Casco, I am a first generation Honduran-American from Atlanta, Georgia. My hobbies include playing video games, watching Animes, biking, fishing, watching TV shows and generally anything fun. Because of these hobbies my media consumption often involves a lot of gaming information updates and event updates, some Anime episode updates, and fan generated content of both. I do also enjoy trending media, TV and show discussions and also think it important to devote part of my time with keeping myself connected with up to date world events information. A big part of it is also updates on what my friends are doing and thinking. Id like to think my media consumption is pretty well balanced looking at it now though this is my first time thinking about it. Having listed all that out I can very easily see the aspect of cultural convergence that have taken place in my media consumption ever since I started having an online presence. Cultural convergence, as I have come to understand it, is the coming together of the different types of media that shape the beliefs, trends, practices and media of a country or culture into one or few easy sources that are globally accessible. This I now know leads into another topic called Cultural transmission which I can very easily tell already affects me. Being a First generation Honduran-American, American media was a big help in learning not only the English language, which was never spoken in my house hold, but also normal American mannerisms which somewhat differ from Honduran ones. Even right now I have noticed myself becoming more knowledgeable of mannerisms, popular phrases and other cultural objects from the new types of media I've come in contact with in the past few years from around the world. These mostly include TV shows from Great Britain like Doctor Who and Sherlock that I have begun watching. Others include Animes I have recently begun watching from Japan. The fact I watch these shows how far Cultural convergence has gone in making our world smaller and making media more readily available for more people and I think prove cultural transmission is very real. I hope this class I'm taking in media studies will help me better understand how the media i watch effects me and if their are negative effects to it i must watch out for.

No comments:

Post a Comment